Environment Protection Fund
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Position Title: Monitoring and Gender Officer
Location: Department of Climate Change (DCC)
Type of Contract: Time base
The project “Building resilience of urban populations with ecosystem-based solutions in Lao PDR” was approved by the Green Climate Fund Board on November 2019 with a GCF grant of US$ 10 million. United Nations Environment Programme serves as the Accredited Entity for the project. Activities will be executed by the State of Lao, PDR through the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and UNEP. The project will be implemented across five years covering four provincial capitals in the country: Vientiane Capital, Paksan, Savannakhet, and Pakse.
The project aims to shift the paradigm of urban flood management in Laos from a limited, hard infrastructure approach towards an integrated approach that enhances climate resilience. This will be achieved by mainstreaming integrated flood management strategies into planning frameworks and implementing urban ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA) to decrease climate-induced flooding. The project will be implemented in four cities that have been shown to be the most vulnerable to climate change through climate risk modelling and consultations with relevant planning institutions in Laos. Project interventions will directly benefit 74,600 people and restore 1,500 ha of urban wetland and stream ecosystems. The project focuses on:
Component 1. Technical and institutional capacity building to plan, design, implement and maintain integrated urban Ecosystems-based Adaptation (EbA) interventions for the reduction of climate change induced flooding
Output 1.1 Strengthening of institutional capacity for integrated flood risk management and implementation of urban ecosystems-based adaptation and males and females with increased awareness of climate threats
Output 1.2 Integrated Climate-resilient Flood Management Strategies and urban EbA guidelines developed for Vientiane, Paksan, Savannakhet and Pakse, and effective Flood Risk Management Committees as coordination mechanisms
Component 2. Rehabilitation and protection of ecosystem in response to climate variability and change
Output 2.1 Area of wetland restored contributing to flood reduction and sustainable management of the Nong Peung wetland in Paksan
Output 2.2 Area of urban streams restored contributing to flood reduction and sustainable management of urban streams in Savannakhet and Pakse
Output 2.3 Area of permeable paving solutions installed in public areas contributing to flood reduction in Vientiane, Paksan, Savannakhet and Pakse
Duties and Responsibilities
• Oversee the work of the Baseline consultants in collecting baselines of project indicators;
• Support the development and refining and elaboration of indicators, scorecards, survey instruments, and define sources of information; Work with the Chief Technical Advisor and Baseline consultant/s in setting up the monitoring framework / system to report on indicators in the project results framework;
• Support the inclusion of reporting in terms of references of vendors and contractors (e.g. progress reporting on area of land restored, etc.);
• Provide training to PONREs and city-level focal points on monitoring and evaluation;
• Collect information on indicators on a regular basis for inclusion into technical reports, including Annual Performance Reports and Half-yearly Progress Reports; and
• Coordinate the inputs of the National Project Management Unit and Provincial-level focal points for the mid-term and terminal evaluations.
• Lead the implementation of the Gender Action Plan and mainstream gender in the implementation of all activities;
• Integrate gender work into annual work plans and budgets;
• Support the development of TORs and implementation of participatory surveys, consultations, communication with beneficiary communities to ensure these are done in ways to maximize the participation and equal benefits to women;
• Provide inputs to the development of project outputs and knowledge products to reflect gender analysis, benefits, or options, where applicable;
• Ensure gender work is reported in Annual Performance Reports, Half-yearly Progress Reports, and other technical reports particularly good practices and lessons learned;
• Provide training to the National Project Management Unit, city-level focal points, on the project’s Gender Action Plan and gender mainstreaming;
• Identify partnerships with the National Women’s Union and other stakeholders to support the implementation of the Gender Action Plan.
• Excellent communication, facilitation and inter-personal skills
• Conscientiousness and accuracy in reporting
• Team player
• Excellent presentation skills
Required Experience and Qualifications
• Master’s degree in social work, gender studies, social sciences, natural resources management, monitoring and evaluation, development studies, or related field;
• At least 7 years demonstrated experience and expertise on gender and monitoring and evaluation;
• Demonstrated expertise on project results frameworks;
• Demonstrated experience working with projects funded by bilateral or multilateral donors;
• Demonstrated experience in participatory approaches to development;
• Demonstrated experience in developing training materials and providing training;
• Experience on environmental monitoring, desirable; and
• Proficiency in Lao and English.
Download Related files Below:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their CV and cover letter with contact details of at least three professional referees including a financial proposal by July 14, 2021 to:
Climate Change Adaption Division
Department of Climate Change, MONRE
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only short-listed Candidates will be contacted for interview.